The following information provides details of the facilities and services available at The Beacon to inform people with access needs.
How To Reach Us
We are located just off the town centre in Wantage within the Portway car park, our address is The Beacon, Portway, Wantage OX12 9BX.
If you wish to cycle to The Beacon there is a bicycle rack outside the building.
Portway car park is adjacent to The Beacon and has 121 spaces, seven of which are free accessible parking bays (with a valid Blue Badge) which are located within 50 meters from the main entrance. The car park is well lit at night.
The car park is open 24 hours a day and chargeable Monday to Saturday including bank holidays) from 8am until 6pm. Free on Sundays. Please note that a valid ticket must be displayed at all times during the charging period - including for the free two hours.
Disabled badge holders can park free of charge (unlimited time limit), providing they display their badge. If all disabled bays are full a standard bay may be used.
Please note that this is a public car park and can fill up quickly.
Inside The Beacon
- There are automatic doors leading into the well-lit reception area
- There is ample room within the reception area for a large wheelchair/pushchair to manoeuvre and turn
- There is a lowered section of the information desk
- The coffee shop is on the ground floor and is fully accessible, ramped access is available to the outside seating area
- Visual and audio alarms are present in The Ridgeway, Reception, coffee shop and ground floor toilets, to alert customers in case of an emergency. Audio alarms are present in the ground floor meeting rooms and bar on the first floor.
- All toilets are located on the ground floor. In addition to separate male and female facilities there is a unisex accessible toilet; with transfer space to the left of the toilet. An ambulant accessible toilet cubicle is also available in the male and female toilets.
- All sinks have easy to use lever taps
- A baby changing room located next to the toilets
We have five rooms available for hire, all of which are accessible for wheelchair users, two have hearing loops that work in conjunction with the sound system. One on the ground floor, one on the first floor. There is a lift to the first-floor, The Ridgeway and bar area. This room has an external ramp leading down to the car park to aid egress in an emergency. Internally there is an evacuation chair on the main stairs, and all staff are trained in the use of this.
For full information on our room hire and facilities please look at the link below.
All staff are trained in promoting equality, diversity & inclusion and health and safety. Please let us know of any specific needs you or your party have when making your booking and we will do our best to meet them.
Telephone: 01235 763456